“Patchwork is a loudhailer for the voices of underrepresented groups right across our islands and their Parliamentary Awards recognise the endeavours of individual MPs across the parties who are making efforts to get people from all walks of life engaged in politics.”
2024 Masterclass Programme:
Applications for the 2025 Masterclass programme will open in Autumn 2024. This will be announced across our website, newsletters and social media, so make sure you follow us to avoid missing any deadlines. If you have any questions, please email [email protected] and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
“Patchwork helped me realise that I could call myself a leader. Not just a student of leadership, but someone who could have a role in politics.”
Ifraax, 2019 Graduate
Graduates reflecting on the past year at the 2023 Masterclass Graduation in 10 Downing Street.
Previous Masterclass tutors include:
- Rt Hon David Cameron, former Prime Minister and leader of the Conservative Party
- Rt Hon Gillian Keegan MP, Secretary of State for Education
- Rt Hon Ed Miliband MP, former leader of the Labour Party
- Rt Hon David Lammy MP, Shadow Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs
- Caroline Lucas MP, former leader of the Green Party
- Sir Edward Davey MP, Leader of the Liberal Democrats
- Tamara Finkelstein CB, Permanent Secretary, DEFRA
- Pippa Crerar, The Guardian Journalist
- Mishal Hussain, BBC Journalist
We encourage you to apply if you fit the following criteria. If you’re interested in the programme but aren’t sure if you meet the requirements, feel free to discuss your application with us by emailing [email protected]
- Are aged between 18-30 years old at the start of the programme and residing in the UK.
- Identify as a young person who, for economic, social, cultural, geographical or health reasons, faces obstacles that prevent them from having effective access to politics and broader opportunities.
- Able to give time for monthly Masterclass sessions (approx. 50 hours across the year-long programme, predominantly composed of 2 hour sessions) and attend the required number of sessions to graduate from the programme
- At least two of these sessions must be attended in-person in a location in Central London
- Are proactive and committed to making the most out of the whole programme.
- Have an interest in British Politics or Civil Society, such as: engagement in party politics, law, climate initiatives, grassroots campaigning etc.
- Able to commute on occasion to London, for Masterclass sessions (needs-based financial assistance is available).
- Willing to engage in open discourse and remain respectful towards other participants, the organisation and speakers.
- I’ve applied before; can I apply again? Yes
- I’m a civil servant; can I apply? Yes
- I don’t have any political experience; can I apply? Yes, we actively encourage those with a political interest but no experience to apply.
- I have a full-time job; can I apply? Yes, if you can commit to preparing for and attending sessions totalling approximately 5 hours a month during weekday evenings.
- Can I get a mentor? Yes, we have a mentoring programme.
- Is travel to sessions reimbursed? We have a means-tested Accessibility Fund to allow those who would not otherwise be able to take part to travel to sessions.
- What are your top tips for the application questions? Read the questions carefully, be honest in your answers and tell us about your passions.
- Does the person I’d like to have a Masterclass with have to be well-known? No, you can pick anyone that you think you’d be able to learn from. Who you pick isn’t as important as why you want to hear from them.
- I cannot submit my application on the website: Try different browsers, clear your history/cookies, and use a different network/device.
If you have any queries, please email [email protected]
Hear from our Graduates:
“There is a lot you can learn from the people in your cohort and perhaps build life-long friendships! With the variety of participants, you will engage with individuals who are at different stages of their life and have a wealth of experience to share.” Mustapha, 2019 Graduate
“It gave me the opportunity to network in a beneficial way and meet some of the most inspiring figures in the country. I have learnt so much about myself which far exceeds my expectations… truly one of the best experiences of my life.” Sam, 2023 Graduate
Join our mailing list to stay up to date with all the latest!